Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Kanon 2006: Episode 2

(Originally 14 October 2006)

I actually chuckled at some of the moments in episode 2. I just don't find a lot of attempts at humour to be all that humourous, with a good chunk of anime humour being of the slapstick variety, with a compromsing position thrown in before or after the beating. I tend to just feel sorry for the victim(s), because they tend to be deliberately stupid. Kanon's humour is very much in the dialog, and the script has a very natural flow to it.

Yuuichi is right: Kaori Misaka is a damn cool girl. Voiced by Chikane's voice actress to boot, although I can't tell any resemblance.

I tried viewing ep 2 using Static-Subs/Eclipse's joint venture, as well a.f.k's interpretation. While SS-Eclipse comes out in 24 hours or less of the show airing, meaning I could grab it probably Friday morning or late Thursday night where I am, I can't actually do so because I've got to go work. a.f.k's sub has been out late Friday night the past two episodes, and I'm finding the sentence flow and structure to be a bit better. I've heard that SS tends to be more literal, and I perceived a bit of that from their subbing of KnM. For Kanon, sometimes SS has a line that seems more appropriate given the context and situation, but on balance I'm finding a.f.k to be more enjoyable.

I've also started to watch AIR, because it's Kyoto Animation, and another Key story. Might eventually get around to watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

0 comments: